When your heart is broken it is very difficult to face Valentine’s Day. Everyone is talking about love, being in love, having love, finding love and loving love. What if you lost your love?
Following the death of a spouse or partner, it is incredibly painful to face holidays when handholding, kissing and romance are all around you. The more you think about it, the more aware you are that you don’t have it and the sadder you become.
If you are facing this Valentine’s Day without the one you love, I want to encourage you to change your perspective of the day. Use the time to do something incredibly wonderful for you… love yourself and forgive yourself for being the one left here to live.
Here are a few suggestions that may help you face the day:
- Treat yourself to a nice meal at your favorite restaurant
- Carve out some time to sit by the fireplace or the ocean and journal your thoughts about love
- Gather a small group together and share stories while going through treasured photos
- Watch funny movies and laugh yourself silly
- Give yourself permission to shed a tear and to acknowledge how you feel
- Do something for someone else who also may not have a precious loved one to share the day with
- Write a love letter to yourself … you are unique and you are loved… allow the love in.